Maria Montessori discovered an educational system that started with a child’s natural love of learning and then provided materials and lessons that compelled them to manipulate, investigate, imagine and discover – education, not aimed at filling empty vessels, but at lighting fires! This is the inspiration on which Roots & Wings was founded, in 1985. Our Roots & Wings family of children, staff and parents work together to see each child’s innate goodness and unique individual abilities, and guide their use to bless the world. “It’s not how smart you are, but how you are smart!” We value high academic standards and self-discipline, along with values and ethics coming from strong self-esteem. We also focus on stewardship of the earth, strongly influenced by First Nations guides, helping children nurture their inner selves through connection with the natural world. A related focus is entrepreneurship, including a healthy approach to earning, spending, saving and giving money – attitudes and habits for life-long financial success.
We are a warm, cohesive family, a united single entity called Roots and Wings Montessori. However from a business point of view, the elementary/secondary school is run by Radicalus Montessori Society and the primary school and daycares are operated by Roots and Wings Enterprises.
Roots and Wings Montessori offers you as a parent:
- confidence that your child will be very much valued by all staff
- close communication with those working with your child
- guidance in consistency between home and school
- satisfaction in contributing through volunteering and donation
- affordable cost
- comfort in knowing your child is being prepared for a wholesome future
Our programs include:
- Babycare(up to 3 years old)
- Daycare (3 to 5 year olds)
- Primary Montessori (2 ½ to 5 year olds)
- Extended Day/Kindergarten (approx. 5 – 6 year olds who spend half the day together, and spend the other half of the day as leaders in the Primary classrooms)
- Intermediates (6 – 9 year-olds)
- Seniors (9 – 12 year-olds)
- Secondary (so far 12 – 15 year olds)
Roots and Wings Montessori offers your children:
- Child-motivated academic learning, most children by age five reading, writing, doing decimal math, geography, history, sciences, art, music, French and other languages depending on staff abilities
- An emphasis on cherishing the environment by providing many opportunities for children to connect with the forest, pond, pets and farm animals, organic gardening, creek life, ecosystems, recycling, healthy protest, and empowerment to make a difference
- Laying a basis for future entrepreneurs through presenting basic concepts of time and money management
- Nutrition and health awareness for physical well-being
- Computer use to meet your child’s needs, rather than society’s dictates
- Frequent field trips, including a major 7-10 day trip from age 9 +.
- Practical life skills, from tying a shoe to fixing a car or creating a shirt
- Respect for self and others, leadership skills
- One-on-one and small group instruction
- Leisure alternatives to electronic entertainment
- A variety of sports, including skating and swimming
- After-School activities (depending on demand)
Strong bonds are present between staff members as well as between students and staff and amongst the students themselves. The resulting warmth provides a nurturing atmosphere for all. Despite our high success, we regularly assess our program and make any improvements that appear necessary. We meet weekly to ensure good communication, consistency from level to level, and sharing of experience and ideas. Parents are also regularly invited to share their ideas with us.
Click Here to Contact Us